Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Prayer- Petition


I was sitting at a soccer game and all along the sidelines were adults and children alike, petitioning for their child or loved one to do something...do well, pass the ball, score or play defense.  



These petitioners though had only their vested interest in mind...their color jersey but even more so their own child.  A parent on my right screamed "Defense" while on the left cheers "Shoot it!"



It makes me think of how I imagine prayers going up to God.  So many requests going up, some simultaneously asking the same thing while others may be praying for the exact opposite outcome.  During the winter here in New England I see this in action as one faction prays for massive amounts of snow to ski and snowmobile through while others pray for no snow so they can drive their kids safely to school or not have to pay for snow plowing.



We all want our own way and we are disappointed when God seemingly doesn’t answer our prayers.  But there would be no way to make everyone happy because what brings some joy bring others suffering sometimes.



1 John 5:14:

“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” 



His will and ways are not always ours and from experience, hindsight being 20/20, I can thank Him for both how He has answered prayer but also for many unanswered prayers….things I hoped and wished and pleaded for that He didn’t come through with because it was not His best or will. 



So I’ll keep praying because I know He is at work.  I keep praying because it reminds me again and again to depend on Him.  I plead my case because He cares for my heart but conclude with seeking to trust that His ways are better than my own and He’ll walk me and those that I love through whatever comes.    



1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.“


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback so feel free to leave your thoughts! You can select "Name/URL" if you just want to leave a comment with your name. Thanks for stopping in!