Search This Blog

Friday, August 1, 2014

Fairy Tales: I Found My Prince

I sit and wait, I wait for thee,
To sweep me off my feet and make me complete.
I guard my thoughts, I guard my heart,
I deprive temporary pleasures so I can give you my whole heart.

And in you come, sweeping me off my feet,
The moments I am not with you, I feel incomplete.
I can’t live without you, I humbly plea,
I dream of the day that your wife I would be.            

The ceremony is over, we both said “I do.”
Finally I got my wish, you’re stuck with me like glue.
We enjoy these precious moments as I rest in your arms,
As long as I am with you, life can do me no harm.

Time moves ever slowly, days turn into weeks,
I never imagined “becoming one” with you would make me feel so weak.
You know every part of me, even the secrets I long buried.
This vulnerability and transparency with one another has got us kind of wearied.

This isn’t what I pictured, the fairy tale of the heart,
I thought you’d be my everything and from me you’d never depart.
Am I asking too much from you, in being everything I need??
The hunger needs of my heart are more than you are able to feed.

Oh God, how long I’ve run from you, though You vowed to never let go.
Though I love and cherish my husband, it is You alone Who makes me whole.
You are my Source of everything, satisfaction, joy and love.
Now I can better love and appreciate my husband because it is only a picture of what I will enjoy with You in heaven above.


Obviously this is a work of fiction as I have no husband, but I do believe that the story line is very true/real.  I see so many girls, young women and even older women waiting for their “prince charming” to come and sweep them off their feet and be all they ever dreamed.  They soon realize that though it is said “two become one” in marriage, life is still incomplete.  We will never be able to find true and lasting joy, satisfaction, life and love from anything apart from Christ…..not your husband, your parents, your best friend, your mentors, your kids, your job, your money, your things…none will satisfy!  They will all fall short just as we fall short ourselves.

Now don’t get me wrong…I’m not against marriage, friendships or families…..I think they are a huge part of our hearts and lives…a great blessing from God, for certain.  But nothing is guaranteed to last, not material treasures, friendships nor human life itself….so we must come to God to fill our lives and make us complete.  As a good friend has asked me many times, if I lost everything in my life (my family, friends, car, etc.) would God be enough?  I need to find my contentment in Him now so if later I am blessed with a husband, I don’t put undue expectations on him but instead he can rest in knowing that God has my heart and we can both rest in that.  So instead of pursuing a fairy tale future, I will pursue contentment in Christ, and fall in love with the real Prince Charming, the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ.

Until next time,
In Christ,
Joy Lynn

Originally written 1-15-2012. Reposted because contentment is a struggle and if I don't remember to look to God to fill the void, I'll just be aimlessly dreaming and searching for something that can't satisfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback so feel free to leave your thoughts! You can select "Name/URL" if you just want to leave a comment with your name. Thanks for stopping in!